Friday, September 26, 2008

Here Comes Another Birth Activist

Here is the post I promised in regards to the movie I went to see last night.

A neighbor/friend invited me to go with her to this amazing birth film called "Orgasmic Birth" directed by Debra Pascali-Bonaro, downtown at the Riverside Theater as part of a special showing that was put together by different birth activist groups in the MN area. Some of these organizations included ICAN of the Twin Cities, Spinning Babies, Ten Moons Rising, Everyday Miracles, The Childbirth Collective, and DONA International.

To say it bluntly...Orgasmic Birth was UNBELIEVABLE! It was the most amazing movie I have watched in a LONG time. It had me laughing, it had me crying my eyes out, it had me happy, and it had me angry/frustrated. I signed my name up on the list to buy a copy for myself so I can show it to other people.

I know the title freaks most people out. Originally the director wanted to name it Ecstatic Birth but Orgasmic Birth got peoples attention more so that is what they went with.

Before jumping to conclusions about the film or about how you may think I am going crazy, hear me out!

I want to be a doula and eventually a midwife. I want to be able to give women the opportunity to have their babies the way THEY want to have them, not the way our MEDICAL SYSTEM tells them to have them. America is SOOO behind when it comes to supporting laboring moms and trusting them to make their own health care decisions when it comes to the birth of their child. Last time I checked Labor and Birth were NOT an illness, or a disease process, or some crazy medical condition.

GOD himself intended for this to happen from the very begining. He CREATED the whole birth process, from the pleasure of conception to the bliss from holding your babe in your arms. HE knew exactly what HE was doing. Of course after the fall, woman was cursed with laboring pains but she was NOT cursed with a "birth plague"!! She wasn't cursed to have an illness during pregnancy and birth. So why is it often treated that way in Western Medicine?

This film did an amazing job of showing the possibilities of what can happen when a woman is
1) allowed to CHOOSE how and where to have her baby
2) supported by other woman during labor
3) and taught that birth CAN and SHOULD be an enjoyable defining moment of their lives
4) not told horror story after horror story of how aweful labor is
5) and taught to TRUST in her body, because it knows exactly what to do

What if women were taught to ENJOY birth? What if it could be a sensual, pleasureable experience for a husband and wife to experience together. Afterall, the act of making a baby is sensual and pleasurable so why should we be taught that the act of delivering the baby should be strictly painful and an aweful experience? Why can't that be a pleasurable experience?

Well it can be, and the movie is proof!!

I think Westernized Medicine better watch out...here comes another birth activist!!!!!!!!!!

To Be Continued..........................................

and please give me feedback, ask questions, and give your input too. The whole topic of preg and birth is a passion of mine and I would love to talk to others about it.

1 comment:

Guacaholic said...

I don't have children yet, but from watching the experiences of friends and family, I totally agree with you on how backwards Western medicine is on birthing. It's the power of suggestion - if you tell women to be afraid of the process, why wouldn't they be? Sheesh!

I am particularly intrigued by the concept that the whole laying on your back while birthing thing isn't good for mama or baby.

My mom had me at home. It was 1978 in East Bethel, in a blizzard, and the ambulance drivers had never delivered a baby before. So my dad delivered me. How awesome is that? My mom said it was fine, she had thought it was braxton hicks, that her labor was really quick and she didn't need pain relief - but she's a tough nurse. :)